Buffalo Frozen Semen Station (BFSS), Erode
Buffalo Frozen Semen Station (BFSSs), Erode:
This unit undertakes the task of distribution of Frozen Semen Straws (white cattle) produced at NJ&SF, Ooty to all milk unions based on their requirement. The present off take by unions is around 1.60 lakh per month.
This Unit also distributes around 6000 Nos. of Buffalo Frozen Semen Straws per month, procured from Animal Husbandry Department, to unions.
Timely Artificial Insemination is essential for getting one calf per year. Hence for the benefit of Milk producers Artificial Insemination is carried out to the milch animals at the door step of the milk producers through union Veterinarians, NADP doctors and trained Village Level Workers. During the year 2018-19, 20.01 lakh Artificial Inseminations were carried out through 2724 Artificial Insemination Centres which includes 2664 Mobile and 60 Stationary Centres.
Rearing of Bull Calves:
Rearing of breeding bull calves produced through Progeny Testing Programme (PTP) / Field Performance Recording Programme (FPRP) is also being carried out in this Unit.
Disease / Genetic Disorder Testing Protocol
Testing protocols are mandatory tests to be carried out on male calves selected through PT programmes in order to minimize the chances of transmitting diseases through frozen semen.
Name of the Disease/Test
Infectious bovine Rhinotracheitis(IBR)
Bovine viral diarrhoea(BVD)
Karyotyping-For Chromosomal abnormalities
Other Genetic disorders (BLAD, Citrullinemia, Factor IX deficiency)
Pre-Quarantine Station at Attur:
- An establishment where bull calves below 3 months of age are kept in rearing before shifting them to a quarantine station.
- The calves are shifted to the quarantine station only if they are negative for all MSP diseases and their dams are negative for TB, JD & Brucellosis.
- Pre-Quarantine at Attur has a capacity for housing 60 nos. of bull calves.
- In Pre-Quarantine, calves will be tested for all MSP diseases like TB, JD, Brucellosis, IBR and BVD, other Genetic disorders and chromosomal abnormalities.
Quarantine Station at Erode:_
- An establishment where bull calves above 3 months of age are kept in rearing, after the calves and their dams have already been tested negative for MSP diseases (where applicable) either in field or while in pre-quarantine and where at least two rounds of testing are done for all MSP diseases with negative results, before they can be shifted to rearing station.
- Quarantine station at Erode can house 60 nos. of bull calves.
Rearing Station at Pudukudi:
- An establishment where bull calves which have passed through the pre-quarantine and quarantine are maintained before being transferred to the semen station. Only animals that are negative to all the tests will be declared fit for induction into a semen station.
- Rearing station at Pudukudi can house 60 nos of bull calves.